Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The beauty and horror of black and white



The Son of Frankenstein has a wonderful use of the medium of black and white film. The shadows on the walls in particular lent and eerieness to an otherwise plain castle and completely transformed the scene in which the monster comes up from behind Dr. Frankenstein for the first time. The only photo I found of the encounter was the end result of the monster creeping up on the doctor, but the sequence leading up to this moment was masterfully done. I think colorizing these scenes would detract from the effect rather than add to it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Betcinda. The shadows of all the wooden stairwells which ran throughout the castle caught my eye. Those images would not translate to color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you both. For us, color is normal wheras the black and white takes us back in time to the "nearly forgotten." I remember some of these movies from childhood. Feelings of nostalgia creep in as I travel down paths not forgotten, just dusty with age.

    ReplyDelete