Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Creature from the Black Lagoon

I thought this movie was pretty awesome, despite some of the dated special effects, etc. I think it's an interesting departure from the other movies we've been watching, which have taken place at night in dark castles and forests, whereas this took place pretty much in broad daylight, except for the underwater scenes, which were still pretty well-lit. I can definitely see this as a precursor to Jaws and almost every other water-based monster movie. It also seems similar to Alien or other monster movies where a group of people is stranded, and are hunted down one by one.
Though I didn't find the film particularly scary, I liked the scene where the creature is swimming just below the woman and just brushes her leg once before swimming away. One of my great fears, and the topic of many of my nightmares, is underwater monsters and creatures, and I often think about that when my leg touches something weird underwater.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, Jay, the underwater photography was excellent - especially the swim scene. In the grand scheme of the movie, it was pretty sensual.
    Not only a precurser to Jaws but to Alien, as well. It's a real life concern every time I'm in the water ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. dunha...dunha...dunha.....

    It is amazing what the mind with create when faced the unseen or unknowable. Its the reality that we are in thier world, not ours. The classic fight or flight response is triggered, will you be rational (its a fish) or irrational (its the creature from the black lagoon)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Watching this movie brought back memories of my early teen years. Actually I was quite impressed by the improvements in the story line, cinematography and underwater scenes. The trend for "smoking" is still evident:( And I looked up "rotenone" which is actually a pesticide/insecticide created from the jicama vine plant. It was discovered in 1895. A little realism taking place in Hollywood lol. As for the Kamongo fish, it is an African Lung Fish from the Devonian Age and existed into the 20th century without changing (a warm blooded amphibian....can it be possible???)

    I totally agree with the idea of always feeling nervous when swimming. If something tugged at my foot I would out scream any Hollywood actress!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like this movie. The way this movie is filmed is interesting. Evidently, this movie was originally shot in 3D. I wonder what that would have been like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been under the impression that this was a "B" movie. Apparently, I was wrong. It was very well done and I enjoyed it a lot! I thought, like many of you, that the underwater scenes were fantastic. I was amazed at the clarity of the pictures in relation to how long ago the movie was filmed. I was astounded at the technology as well as how clean the Florida water was.
    Jay, it was very brave of you to admit your fear of being touched in the water by the unseen element. Seems as though many of us can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete