Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Wolfman

AAAHHHH, the Wolfman. Here we have a dashing young bachelor, (Chancey )somewhat of a prodical son, bewitched by the town's beautiful maiden, only to have his world crumpled by an age old curse. Even without the visible blood shed , that is NOW required in our genre, this movie showed the true torments of a man's soul.  Even his transformation from man to beast was quite stunning for the early 1940s. The many still shots to show the gradual change into the wolfman, probably secured many protective hugs from the male dates. The  black and white smoke filled environment gave off an eerie, supernatural feeling to add authenticity to beast. I agree with Ms.S on the fact that you would see animal tracks, but  yet he walked on two's. I think that the studio should have paid more attention to the subtle details. But over all, this was a Great Film. ( Although, I really can't say that about the sequel, Wolfman Meets Frankenstien)

1 comment:

  1. I liked this movie too. The only thing that took me out of my scary-movie element was that I thought Claude Rains was way too powerful of an actor for this role and when Lon Chaney Jr. is next to him, it is awkward.

    ReplyDelete