Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Jaws - Horror or Thriller

Jaws is running on Cinemax now

For the first time in twenty years, or more, my husband and I sat and watched “Jaws” from start to finish. I was so excited to blog about how, as we had talked about in class last week, the swimming scenes with the shark and the victim were very similar to the creature, in “Creature from the Black Lagoon,” and his victim. I went out on the internet to search for some fun facts and found that “Jaws” is classified as a “thriller” – not “horror.” I wonder how a creature film, like “Creature from the Black Lagoon,” can be classified as horror, and “Jaws” as a thriller. Just for the record, I think “Jaws” is a horror film. What am I missing here?
Fave line: “We’re going to need a bigger boat.”  

2 comments:

  1. If the measure of horror is how much a movie scares an audience, then "Jaws" qualifies in a big way. Spielberg and script writer Carl Gottlieb used to enjoy standing at the back of a theater to watch everybody come out of their seats when the decapitated head suddenly came into view. Sounds like horror to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thriller because you were on the edge of and jumped out of your seat?
    A thrill gets you moving. Horror and terror make you stay, or as so aptly noted by everyone else, run upstairs to hide.

    ReplyDelete