Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Beyond

The picture above is actually of the less insane of the two eye-gouging scenes in the movie.  The movie is pretty ridiculous, but it's also entertaining.  The story involves a New Orleans hotel that is built above one of the seven gateways to hell, but the plot is really a flimsy excuse for some of the craziest death scenes I've ever seen.  I don't know if I would recommend it, but if you can handle over-the-top gore, it is a pretty tense and scary movie.  The music is also good, and the cinematography is done in one of my favorite styles from the 70s-early 80s, with fluid, active, poetic camera movements, featuring plenty of zooms, pans, slow-motion, and montage editing.  The movie also features something that I never really understand in horror films, where nobody believes the main female character when she tries to tell everybody that the hotel is haunted, despite the fact that there are zombies walking around and people dying all over the place.  Then again, when I was certain I encountered a ghost last spring, nobody believed me or even cared, so maybe it is a pretty accurate portrayal of human behavior.

1 comment:

  1. Where was the ghost, Jay? And why doesn't anyone believe?

    ReplyDelete