Friday, May 11, 2012

The Last Circus - Director Interview



I couldn’t stop thinking about last night’s film, The Last Circus. I was impressed with the political metaphor, and the way that De la Iglesia set vibrant colors on circus items against the gray, muted colors of the rest of the film. I found a short interview with De la Iglesia and Caroline Bang (the girl between Javier and Sergio). Interesting thing to note: The large cross at the end is not only a real place, but the skulls of the dead are also real – relics of Franco and war. I will be watching this movie again, and again. Here is an interesting excerpt and a link to the rest.
LWLies: What was it about the circus that worked as a metaphor for telling this story?
De la Iglesia: I think it is a way to talk about my life. My life is like a circus, and I am like a clown. To live, to survive, is to have a disguise. Everybody wants to be funny, to have a good time with others. All my friends and me and my past is something like a circus. In other ways, maybe my country and my kind of life is similar [to a circus]. I remember my past, when I was eight years old, I lived a strange nightmare with bombs and violence in the streets. I wondered why, and I have the feeling that I didn’t deserve this. So maybe this movie is my revenge.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Holley. I too, kept thinking about the movie. Definitely deserves to be seen more than once.

    ReplyDelete