Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Bratwurst Anyone?



Well, I have avoided this movie since 1980 – when it scared me to death. Today, I was happy to face my fears and watch this for a second time. Tom said it was kitschy fun, my son said it was really cool, so I was ready to laugh and find fun moments that would make me see this movie in a different light. I was wrong. This movie is a terror-ride from hell. I was not turned off by the gore, it was the screaming, the idea that people would want to eat other people, and, my God, the grandfather needing to drink a steady supply of blood to stay alive – what’s up with that, he does not even resemble a vampire. The use of sounds made the whole movie much more intense. The sounds (generator, chainsaw, screaming) came slowly and built through the film to intensify the craziness. Impressive. The insane hitchhiker was the weirdest, and, I guess, the best character. The worst character was the guy in the wheelchair. If MTV had been around in the 1970’s they would have made a special award for the best scream and given it to the girl who plays Sally. On the IMBD website, the trivia section says that Sally’s finger is cut for real for Grandpa to suck on because they couldn’t get the fake blood to work. I recommend this movie if you want to feel a loss of equilibrium and if you are on a diet – I lost my appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment