Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Favorite Psychological Thriller - "Rope"





In an older post, Stephanie said she preferred the “psychological thriller” over the horror/gore movie. I’m with Stephanie. I want to share one of my favorite psychological thrillers before the semester ends. It’s a little Hitchcock movie called Rope. Here is the IMBD description:
“Two young men strangle their ‘inferior’ classmate, hide his body in their apartment, and invite his friends and family to a dinner party as a means to challenge the ‘perfection’ of their crime.”
It stars James Stewart, Hume Cronyn, and Farley Granger, just to name a few. There is little violence and the end feels very much like a Sherlock Holmes mystery being solved, but the audacity of these two killers serving dinner on top of a trunk holding the body of their friend is incredibly tense. The film is based on a play from 1929, so the movie feels like watching a play since most of it takes place in one apartment. I highly recommend this movie if you prefer this type of film.
Great line: “Good and evil, right and wrong were invented for the ordinary average man, the inferior man, because he needs them” (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/).

1 comment:

  1. I saw this right before coming to this class ... I had to think twice about joining honor students horror films class ... but I am glad that I did.
    Alfred Hitchcock was a master at psychological horror.

    ReplyDelete